Congratulations Dr. Mandel Sher: Internationally-Renowned Cough Experts Appointed to Clinical Advisory Board
Congratulations to Dr. Mandel Sher and four of his esteemed Cough scientific and clinical colleagues from the United Kingdom, Ireland, and San Francisco on their appointment to a 5-person Clinical Advisory Board of BELLUS Health. BELLUS Health recognizes this 5-person team as internationally-renowned Cough experts. BELLUS Health is a biopharmaceuitcal company developing novel therapies for conditions with high unmet medical need including Chronic Cough. Dr. Mandel Sher and his Cough colleagues’ role on the Clinical Advisory Board is to provide strategic guidance and support to the development of BELLUS Health’s lead drug for Chronic Cough. Dr. Jaclyn Smith is Chair of the Clinical Advisory Board. The first meeting was held on September 24, 2018 in London.
“We are thrilled to welcome this team of highly respected clinician leaders whose work has deeply influenced the treatment and management of chronic cough,” said Dr. Denis Garceau, Senior Vice President, Drug Development of BELLUS Health. “Their background and expertise will be invaluable to the clinical development of our lead drug candidate BLU-5937 as we prepare for a Phase 2 study, expected to be initiated in 2019. In addition to helping BELLUS Health navigate the regulatory aspects of drug development, this team of accomplished scientific and clinical experts will help guide our goal of bringing this potential best-in-class therapeutic for chronic cough to patients.”
Dr. Mandel Sher, Founder of Center for Cough: 727-393-8067. www.centerforcough.com.
The Clinical Advisory Board members are:
- Dr. Jaclyn Smith, MB, ChB, FRCP, PhD, Chair of the CAB, is a Professor of Respiratory Medicine at the University of Manchester in the United Kingdom and an Honorary Consultant at the University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust. She leads a multi-disciplinary research team whose focus is on understanding mechanisms underlying pathological cough and runs a regional clinical service for patients with refractory chronic cough. Dr. Smith is also the Director of the NIHR Manchester Clinical Research Facility. In collaboration with Mr. Kevin McGuinness (Clinical engineer), she has developed a novel method for automated cough detection.
- Dr. Alan Goldsobel, MD, is a practising allergist and immunologist, a Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco and an Adjunct Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at Stanford University Medical School. He is also a Fellow of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology and past president of the California Society of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Dr. Goldsobel is co-director of the Allergy and Asthma Clinical Research Center in San Jose, CA where he has served as principal investigator for clinical trials of many of the new therapeutic agents for chronic refractory cough. He has published numerous scientific articles and book chapters in allergy and asthma and his area of interest, cough.
- Dr. Lorcan McGarvey, MD, FRCP, is a Consultant Respiratory Physician and Professor of Respiratory Medicine at Queen’s University of Belfast, Northern Ireland. His main programme of research has focused on the clinical and scientific aspects of acute and chronic cough. Dr. McGarvey has been a core contributor to the British Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society cough guidelines and serves on the American College of Chest Physicians Cough Guidelines Expert Committee.
- Dr. Alyn Morice, MD, is a Professor of Respiratory Medicine, Head of Medicine, Hull York Medical School, University of Hull in the United Kingdom. He specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of cough and runs the Hull Cough Clinic, the first UK Cough Clinic which he established in 1989 and which has become the largest centre within Europe with an international pattern of referral. Professor Morice has led the European Respiratory Society and British Thoracic Society Taskforces on Cough. He also runs the Hull Respiratory Clinical Trials Unit specialising in the treatment of the airways diseases associated with cough.
- Dr. Mandel Sher, MD, is a community-based clinician of pediatric and adult allergy, University of South Florida’s Clinical Professor and former Interim Division Chief of Allergy and Immunology of University of South Florida located at Johns Hopkins/All Children’s Hospital. With a unique sub-specialty in Refractory/ Recalcitrant/Idiopathic chronic cough, Dr. Sher established the Center for Cough in Florida in 2009, which combines existing evidence-based approaches with innovative therapeutic modalities to improve chronic cough patients’ clinical outcomes.
Chronic Cough has significant consequences for a person’s well-being and physical and mental health. Chronic Cough can be effectively treated and resolved.
Contact Dr. Mandel Sher: 727-393-8067. www.centerforcough.com.